ADA, WCAG, Section 504 and 508, website accessibility - these are all top of mind for many schools and districts. But what does ADA (the Americans with Disabilities Act) have to do with your website?
It's all about making sure the content of your website is accessible to all visitors. Just as ADA has made it easier for those with disabilities to navigate the physical world, it also applies to how users with visual and physical disabilities access your website's content. Today, we have Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and Section 508 Standards to serve as guidance for how to do just that.
Edlio is committed to providing a platform for accessible websites that meet Section 508 guidelines and Level AA conformance to WCAG 2.0. As your CMS website platform and provider, we will work with you to ensure your website is Accessible.
At Edlio, we design and build your website with accessibility in mind. Here are a few examples of how we do just that.
- We use modern coding standards that ensure your site is displayed consistently across different browsers and platforms.
- We include a "Skip to main content" link so visitors on screen readers can use their keyboard to skip the navigation at the top of each page.
- We use color contrast tools to meet the recommended contrast ratio for text.
- We encourage schools to add a Website Accessibility policy to their site.
- We add alt text where needed in design elements.
When thinking about a CMS platform, we know you need a partner that addresses accessibility beyond the initial launch. That's why Edlio has built-in tools for you to manage your site's content accessibility, including
- An alt text setting where you can require alt text be entered for all media uploaded to the site.
- Automatic closed captioning and transcripts for all videos upload to the site.
- Site navigation that is accessible by keyboard.
- Pages that are already structured logically with clear header tags for screen readers, so all you need to do is fill in your title and page content.
- Font color options available in the text editor meet WCAG 2.0 Level AA.
- A form builder that automatically adds the required labels and has instructions and error handling already included.
- Ability to rename files you upload and label link text.
- And an online Accessibility guide for your staff to learn about how to keep your site ADA-friendly.