SEO techniques for your school website
What is SEO and what role does it play in your school websites?
Are you curious about how to enhance your school’s marketing or heard about SEO but not sure exactly what it is? Well let’s dive into what it is and how you can get started today!
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. It is the art and science of publishing content and marketing information in a manner that will rank high in search engines like Google, but also making it easier for people to find your site’s webpages.
Most people rarely click on the second or third page of a Google search result, and therefore, ranking on the top half of the first page, or even anywhere on the first page, will ensure your content will get in front of the right audience.
Here are some of the benefits of optimizing your school website's content:
- It’s free!
- Optimizing your website’s content is very cost-effective! Developing high quality content doesn’t cost a thing, and reaching the #1 spot is free!
- Since SEO is about enhancing your content so people on the internet can find what they are looking for, if they are looking for a school in your district, including information they would be searching for will bring the right traffic to your site.
- People trust Google, and if a potential family sees your school is on Google with relevant and up-to-date information, that increases your school’s credibility and tech-saviness.
- Putting in a little bit of effort in optimizing your site will go along way in your ROI. The more relevant and valuable your school’s web content is, the more qualified people will find and apply to your school!
- With over 250 million websites, if your school is new or beginning to grow, SEO is the perfect way to get your school’s name out in the public. It will help you stand out and reach your community much more easily.
- Luckily, Edlio websites are designed after the latest trends, so no need to worry about user experience and usability because that’s Edlio’s speciality. The more up-to-date and easy to navigate your site is, the easier it will be for visitors to locate what they’re looking for when searching in search engines, like Google.
- Data doesn’t need to sound scary or difficult, data will only help in giving quality information about who visits your site and what they’re looking at. With data, you can analyze what visitors are clicking on the most, what their journey is throughout your site, and maybe what they want to see more of! (You can even see a prospect’s journey from the visiting the homepage to applying!)
- A huge benefit of SEO is your school websites being mobile-friendly! Every Edlio site is responsive on all on devices - computer, cell-phone and tablet - so just based on that, your site will show up anytime someone is searching on their mobile phone.
- Nowadays, a digital footprint plays a very important role when people do research online about anything, even more so a job or what school parents want to send their children to. Not only investing in a well-designed website, but also in optimizing the content on your site, will drive the people you want to your site.
- Without any expensive marketing campaigns or experimenting on what may or may not work, SEO is the smartest marketing strategy with proven results you can see.
Putting SEO to action and seeing your school websites ranked high
With so many benefits to investing in SEO, how do you go about implementing it?
- Utilize Alt-text
- Not only is Alt-text extremely important for accessibility and ensuring your site is ADA compliant, but it is also important for SEO.
- Search engines can’t see your images, all they can do is read the Alt-text to understand what the image actually is. The more detailed you are about the picture, the more search engines can filter out results and provide the most relevant content associated with your content.
- "Audience" to see data around the topics such as age, gender, location, New vs Returning users, Frequency of user visits, Recency of user visits.
- "Behavior" to see data around the topics such as site content, page visits, average session duration, bounce rate, etc. This is also the place to set up experiments, setup site search and review the behavior flows for your site.
- With In-Page Analytics, you can make a visual assessment of how users interact with your web pages.
- Last but not least, select "Acquisition" to see data around the topics such as your site's traffic sources (i.e: how much of it is coming from social media vs. organic search), and other social media platform activities.
- Connecting your school websites to Google Analytics is the first way to get the data you want and start tracking how much work you need to put into your SEO.
- Edlio’s Help Center has a step-by-step guide on how to add Google Analytics to your site and getting website traffic stats through Google Analytics.
- There are a lot of features and tools from the beginner level to advanced, but here are the top features of Google Analytics perfect for every school.
- Our Help Center has great information on specifically using Pages to enhance SEO, SEO for Pages.
- Google is smart enough to recognize any over-stuffing of keywords that will negatively impact your ratings. They key is to strategically place them throughout your content that will have positive effects, but will still make it reader-friendly.
It won’t take long before all your optimizing efforts take effect and impact your rankings across multiple search engines.